Meghan Markle appears to take swipe at Royal Family when asked about working for a living

WATCH NOW: Meghan Markle slated over ‘unusual’ title.

GB News
Dorothy Reddin

By Dorothy Reddin


Published: 02/04/2025

- 17:52

The Duchess of Sussex launched her lifestyle website, As Ever, on Wednesday

Meghan Markle appeared to fire a dig at the Royal Family when asked about working for a living.

The former working royal has revealed why she continues to put herself in the public eye despite facing criticism, stating simply: "I need to work, and I love to work."


The Duchess of Sussex made the candid admission during an interview with the New York Times, where she invited them into the kitchen of her Montecito mansion.

In what appeared to be a dig at the Royal Family, Meghan pointed out that she had not been out of work from age 13 until becoming engaged to Prince Harry.

Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle appears to take swipe at Royal Family when asked about working for a living

Getty

When asked why someone who has "endured the worst kind of public attention" would put herself "back under the microscope", Meghan explained: "This is a way I can connect my home life and my work."

Meghan launched her lifestyle website, As Ever, on Wednesday, allowing American fans to finally purchase her products.

The Duchess also has a new podcast titled "Confessions of a Female Founder" scheduled for release on April 8.

Netflix appears to be backing Meghan's ventures, with the streaming giant already filming a second season of her cooking show. The company is also an investor in her As Ever brand.

Meghan and HarryMeghan and harry stepped back from official royal duties in 2020Getty

These projects come as Meghan returns to public-facing work despite previously describing the trolling she received in the UK in 2019 as "almost unsurvivable".

The publication noted that financial considerations play a role in Meghan's return to the spotlight, stating: "One reason, of course, is money."

The production deal that Meghan and Prince Harry signed with Netflix in 2020 is set to end this year.

Several of their recent projects, including documentaries about polo and Harry's Invictus Games, reportedly did not perform well.

Suits castMeghan Markle was in Suits for seven seasonsGetty

The Sussexes, like any household, have financial obligations to meet despite stepping back from royal duties.

Meghan also addressed criticism over showcasing expensive Le Creuset cast iron cookware in her show, appearing surprised when told about the controversy.

"This is a thing, in 2025?" she reportedly said, throwing up her hands and turning to her mother.

Her mother, Doria Ragland, was present during the interview.

Doria Ragland and Meghan MarkleDoria Ragland and Meghan Markle make feelings clear on internet trollsGetty

She responded calmly: "Everyone is coming in hot these days."

According to the publication, Meghan's team monitors comment sections and social media on her behalf so she doesn't have to engage directly with criticism.

This approach allows her to continue her public-facing work whilst maintaining some distance from the backlash that follows.