WATCH NOW: Prince William arrives at Earthshot Awards in Cape Town.
GB News
The Prince of Wales has expressed his hope to be accompanied by the Princess of Wales
Don't Miss
Most Read
Trending on GB News
Speculation is mounting over whether Princess Kate will join Prince William for the 2025 Earthshot Prize in Brazil this November.
The Princess of Wales has previously attended the environmental awards ceremony in London in 2021 and Boston in 2022.
However, she missed the 2023 event in Singapore to stay with Prince George during an important school exam.
Kate also remained in Windsor during the 2024 ceremony in South Africa due to her cancer diagnosis.
Princess Kate sparks speculation after Prince William announcement
Getty
If Kate were to join William in Brazil, it would mark her first foreign visit since her cancer battle became public.
The Princess announced in January that she was in remission and has since made multiple public appearances.
To date, she has not travelled outside the UK this year, though she did visit Wales for the first time since 2023 in February.
The Palace is unlikely to announce her attendance until closer to the November event.
The Earthshot Prize is headed to Rio this November! Make sure you’re following us to keep up with exciting news and inspirational stories as we celebrate 15 new Finalists from around the world in Brazil this year. #EarthshotRio pic.twitter.com/XEvDwcGr6h
— The Earthshot Prize (@EarthshotPrize) April 3, 2025
Prince William previously expressed hope that Kate would participate in more royal engagements this year.
During the 2024 Earthshot ceremony, William mentioned that his "children would love to be here", adding: "So would Catherine."
He later remarked: "Hopefully Catherine will be doing a bit more next year, so we'll have some more trips maybe lined up."
The Brazil trip could potentially fulfil this aspiration as part of the Princess's carefully managed return to royal duties.
Princess Kate and Prince William at the Earthshot Prize Awards in Boston in 2022
PAPrince William announced on Thursday that the 2025 Earthshot Prize will be held in Brazil, bringing the annual environmental awards to South America for the first time.
The Prince of Wales made the announcement in a YouTube video alongside celebrities including David Beckham, Heidi Klum, Billy Porter, Hannah Waddingham and Robert Irwin.
The Earthshot Prize was created to discover ground-breaking solutions to repair and regenerate the planet.
Since its inception, the initiative has awarded more than £25 million to winners developing innovative environmental solutions.
Princess Kate and Prince William at the Eartshot Prize Awards in 2021
PA
In his announcement, Prince William explained why Brazil was chosen for the 2025 ceremony.
"I think Brazil really epitomizes where the Prize needs to land," the Prince of Wales said. "The culture of Brazil, the fact we've got COP30 there."
William also released a statement noting that 2025 marks the midway point of the Earthshot decade.
"As we bring The Earthshot Prize to Brazil, a nation rich in biodiversity and environmental innovation, we are seeing fresh momentum for new ideas to create healthier and safer ways to live our lives," he said.