France FINALLY admits it can do more to stop Channel crossing crisis after pocketing £500m for migrant 'taxi service'

WATCH: Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp calls on France to intercept boats on the French coast

GB News
George Bunn

By George Bunn


Published: 02/04/2025

- 09:01

Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau said 'We have to deal with the crossings'

France has admitted it needs to stop more small boats entering the UK and would consider sending migrants back from Britain, despite receiving £500million from UK taxpayers for deterrence.

President Emmanuel Macron's border chief explained returning illegal settlers would likely send a clear message they should not risk their lives making the dangerous crossing.


The French have been under increasing pressure to end the flow of migrants across the Channel.

There are calls that the country's navy should stop escorting boats across busy shipping lanes until they are picked up by UK Border Force.

Macron/channel crossings

France has admitted they can be doing more to stop the boats

Reuters/GB News

French Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau\u200b

French Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau

Reuters

Speaking to The Sun, Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau said: "We have to deal with the crossings."

He admitted French authorities had previously focused only on saving people at sea without taking risks.

"I've seen a number of videos where the taxi boats come close to the coast to pick up the migrants in water that's not very deep, and I think that our gendarmes cannot intervene," he said.

Retailleau suggested there should be a bilateral agreement between governments as currently many migrants landing in Britain "don't come back."

Small boatsMore than 4,000 small boat migrants have arrived since the start of March, with 357 people in six dinghies intercepted on Wednesday alonePA

The French Interior Minister also said other European countries ought to close smuggling routes, singling out Belgium and Germany.

Last month, French navy officers refused to rescue 60 distressed migrants on a cramped boat filled with water in French territory, instead asking Border Force for help.

After following the dinghy for four hours, French officials radioed UK authorities about the boat being full of water with migrants waving for help.

One witness described it as "a complete taxi service" with the French simply escorting migrants into British waters.

There have been almost 6,000 arrivals so far in 2025, according to provisional Home Office figures.

March saw 4,586 migrants cross the Channel - the highest figure ever recorded in the first six months of a calendar year.

Keir Starmer's

March saw 4,586 migrants cross the Channel - the highest figure ever recorded in the first six months of a calendar year

PA

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer recently urged more than 40 countries to tackle smuggler supply lines and cash flows during an immigration summit in London.

He insisted there was "nothing progressive or compassionate about turning a blind eye" to the crisis as it gave asylum seekers "false hope".

Labour is coming under intense scrutiny over its "smash the gangs plan" as three of the top 10 months with the most arrivals have occurred under Sir Keir's premiership.

Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp called Border Security Commander Martin Hewitt's pledge to only halve arrivals "defeatist nonsense".

Ashfield MP Lee Anderson\u200b

Reform UK MP Lee Anderson added: 'Martin Hewitt is a pathetic excuse for a Border Security Commander. He was hired to do a job but has now pledged to do only half of it'

PA

Reform UK MP Lee Anderson added: "Martin Hewitt is a pathetic excuse for a Border Security Commander. He was hired to do a job but has now pledged to do only half of it."

Meanwhile, migrants camped near Grande Synthe in northern France are preparing to take advantage of improved weather conditions for new crossings.

Four days of poor sea conditions, high winds and heavy police presence temporarily halted Channel crossings over the weekend.

People-smuggling gangs are expected to resume operations as the weather warms.

Ethiopian migrant Elim, 29, told The Sun: "I've made it this far so to die now would be stupid. The bad weather won't stop anyone. It will just delay our journey."