Britain 'in talks' to flog two £1.6BILLION Royal Navy warships to Brazil for as little as £20million

WATCH: Former Royal Navy flagships HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark will be decommissioned as part of a series of money-saving cuts

GB News
Oliver Trapnell

By Oliver Trapnell


Published: 04/04/2025

- 13:22

Updated: 04/04/2025

- 13:30

Critics have questioned the wisdom of the decision

Britain is in talks to sell two Royal Navy amphibious assault ships to Brazil, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

The potential sale of HMS Bulwark and HMS Albion, which can deploy Royal Marines to shore, has today been confirmed after the vessels were decommissioned to cut costs despite growing global threats.


News of the sale, first reported in Latin American media, drew ire from critics who have pointed out the Government has spent nearly £133million on refits for both vessels since 2010.

Defence experts have raised concerns about the UK reducing its amphibious capabilities while the Government promises increased defence spending.

HMS Bulwark

The potential sale of HMS Bulwark (pictured) and HMS Albion comes despite the Government's pledge to increase defence spending

PA

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We can confirm we have entered discussions with the Brazilian Navy over the potential sale of HMS Bulwark and HMS Albion."

"As announced in November, both ships are being decommissioned from the Royal Navy.

"Neither were planned to go back to sea before their out-of-service dates in the 2030s."

Both vessels have been held at lower readiness, with neither having been to sea since 2023 and 2017 respectively.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:
HMS Albion

HMS Albion (pictured) is being decommissioned from the Royal Navy

PA

Sources told the Mail on Sunday earlier this year that the Ministry of Defence was asking just £20million for both ships despite having spent almost ten times that amount on repairs over the last 14 years.

Defence Minister Maria Eagle admitted £132.7million had gone on refits to HMS Albion and Bulwark since 2010.

A further refit of HMS Bulwark, estimated at another £72.1million, was being reviewed as the ship was retired before completion.

The two vessels originally cost at least £790million when constructed between 1998-2004, equivalent to about £1.6 billion today.

HMS Bulwark

Neither vessel was planned to go back to sea before their out-of-service dates in the 2030s

PA

Matthew Savill, director of military science at the Royal United Services Institute, said the plan demonstrates there "is still life in both these ships".

He said: "The fact that the UK is prepared to sell off useful amphibious capability shows just how tight finances are even with the promised Budget increase.

"The replacements for these ships are still several years away and won't be available until the 2030s."

Savill added: "Brazil will probably have greater amphibious capacity than the UK, having previously bought HMS Ocean, the UK's helicopter assault ship."

Shadow Defence Secretary James Cartlidge questioned the wisdom of the move on social media.

He wrote: "At Defence orals [House of Commons questions] on January 6 Defence Secretary John Healey said: 'HMS Bulwark and HMS Albion were not genuine capabilities'."

"They've just been sold to Brazil."

Ministers claim the sale of the Landing Platform Docks will "not impact the operational programme of the Royal Marines, who continue to deploy globally".

The Government argues that decommissioning the vessels will "save £9million a year in maintenance costs" and suggests the receipt from the sale will unlock "as much funding as possible to invest in modernisation".

The Ministry of Defence added that the sale would help in "reinforcing relationships with international partners".

Today's confirmation comes after HMS Ocean, once the largest warship in the Royal Navy, was sold to the Brazilian Navy in 2018 after 20 years in service.