Russell Brand breaks silence after being charged with rape and sexual assault

WATCH HERE: Russell Brand has been charged with rape and assault

GB News
Marcus Donaldson

By Marcus Donaldson


Published: 05/04/2025

- 10:45

The comedian and actor has been subject of an investigation following a report by Channel 4 and The Sunday Times

Russell Brand has broken his silence after being charged with rape and sexual assault in a 44-second video uploaded to social media.

The Metropolitan Police charged Brand, 50, following a lengthy investigation by detectives, with the force being authorised to push ahead with its probe by the Crown Prosecution Service on Friday.


Scotland Yard issued a charge and requisition to Brand, who lives in Oxfordshire, in connection with a series of offences.

The charges include one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.

Russell Brand

Brand has previously denied the allegations made following The Sunday Times and Channel 4's investigation

Getty

The investigation into Brand was launched in September 2023 after officers received several allegations.

It followed reports from The Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches.

On Friday, Brand denied the charges against him in a video posted to X, formally Twitter.

"When I was young and single, before I had my wife and family, I was a fool, man. I was a fool, before I lived in the light of the Lord,” he began.

"What I never was, was a rapist," he continued.

Russell Brand

Brand has denied the charges in a new video

X: Russell Brand

“I’ve never engaged in non-consensual activity. I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes.

He added: “I want to thank all of you for your continuing support.”

“Of course, I am now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court and I’m incredibly grateful for that,” the actor concluded.

Among the allegations is one dating back to 1999 where a woman was said to have been raped in the Bournemouth area.

Another relates to 2001 where a woman alleged she was indecently assaulted in the Westminster area of London.

In 2004, again in Westminster, another woman claimed to have been orally raped and sexually assaulted.

And between 2004 and 2005, a woman was sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London.

Russell Brand

Brand will appear in court on May 2

X: Russell Brand


Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday, May 2.

Jaswant Narwal of the Crown Prosecution Service said: “We have today authorised the Metropolitan Police to charge Russell Brand with a number of sexual offences.

“We carefully reviewed the evidence after a police investigation into allegations made following the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary in September 2023.

“We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault.

“These relate to reported non-recent offences between 1999 and 2005, involving four women.

“He will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court for a first hearing on Friday, May 2 2025.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial.

“It is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings."

Meanwhile, Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy from the Metropolitan Police, who is leading the investigation, added: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.

“The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.

"A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at CIT@met.police.uk.

“Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line.”