Prince William gives emotional tribute to Catherine during rare radio interview

WATCH: Royal Family step out for Easter Sunday service

|

GB NEWS

Ben McCaffrey

By Ben McCaffrey


Published: 22/05/2026

- 18:16

The Prince of Wales starred on breakfast radio this morning

Prince William delivered a heartfelt tribute to his wife Catherine during a rare live radio appearance on Heart FM this morning, declaring that his family simply "couldn't cope without her."

The Prince of Wales, 43, joined presenters Amanda Holden and Jamie Theakston from a cafe on the Isles of Scilly for the interview, broadcast early on a foggy Friday morning - despite his confession that he is "definitely not a morning person."


Mrs Holden congratulated Catherine on her recent trip to Italy, which marked her first overseas tour since her cancer diagnosis in March 2024.

Speaking candidly about the Princess of Wales following her subsequent treatment and recovery, William said he was "so proud, very, very proud."

"She's an amazing mum, an amazing wife, and literally our family couldn't cope without her, so she's been brilliant," he told listeners.

The Princess confirmed she was in remission in January last year and has since begun gradually resuming her official engagements.

Her visit to Reggio Emilia last week marked her first overseas trip in three and a half years.

William revealed that Catherine had thrown herself into preparation for the Italian engagement, describing her as "a proper pro on early years."

Prince William, Amanda Holden

Prince William delivered a heartfelt tribute to his wife Catherine during a rare live radio appearance on Heart FM this morning, declaring that his family simply 'couldn't cope without her'

|

HEART RADIO

"Most evenings I'm fighting to get past in the bedroom all the paperwork that she's got lined up ready to read," he joked. "I think she came back buzzing."

The Prince noted that overseas visits take their toll, so the family must ensure she remains "OK and rested."

The interview offered a glimpse into the Wales household's morning chaos, with William revealing Princess Charlotte's, 11, obsession with Taylor Swift, as he requested the singer's track Opalite be played for his children.

William, Charlotte and Prince George attended Swift's Eras Tour at Wembley in 2024, watching from a box where the atmosphere was so electric it "shook the floor."

Catherine

Catherine embarked on her first official overseas tour since her cancer diagnosis and recovery earlier this month

|

PA

The Prince even teased about a potential invitation to Swift's upcoming wedding to Travis Kelce: "I'm hoping, I'm sure there might be an invitation around."

Meanwhile, Prince Louis, 8, apparently leaves "jam fingerprints throughout the car."

William also addressed his exuberant celebrations at Aston Villa's Europa League triumph in Istanbul earlier this week, their first European trophy in 44 years.

The Prince admitted he was "a bit hoarse" following the festivities, apologising for not having "a voice for radio this morning."

"I try and remind myself that I am a football fan and I'm just going there to enjoy myself, but then I see the following day and I realise actually a lot of people are watching you," he reflected.

He described the Villa squad as feeling like a "second family," revealing he speaks regularly with several players.

The interview came during the Prince's visit to the Isles of Scilly, which highlighted his expanding role overseeing the Duchy of Cornwall, the private estate he inherited when King Charles ascended to the throne in 2022.

William was due to open a new hospital facility on St Mary's, designed to boost medical capacity across the remote archipelago, including maternity services and improved social care.

"A lot of time, people had to go to the mainland, and the cost for them, it's a nightmare," he explained.

The Prince also visited new sustainable housing for essential workers, the first development at this scale on the islands in nearly 30 years, supporting teachers, firefighters and nurses.

The Duchy has invested £11million into building eco-homes on the islands, as they look to tackle an ongoing housing crisis.