Five people arrested on suspicion of local election fraud offences

WATCH: A by-election officially confirmed in Makersfield

|

GB NEWS

George Bunn

By George Bunn


Published: 21/05/2026

- 15:10

Updated: 21/05/2026

- 17:41

Greater Manchester Police received reports relating to the St Peter's ward in Tameside

Five people have been arrested on suspicion of fraud offences relating to a local election in Greater Manchester.

The five people, four men and a woman aged between 23 and 47, were arrested at addresses in Tameside this morning.


All five of them currently remain in custody, Greater Manchester Police said.

A spokesman for the force said it received reports surrounding concerns about candidates within St Peter's ward in Ashton-under-Lyne in the days up to and following the election on May 7.

A spokesman for GMP said: "This morning, officers in Tameside arrested five people on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud as part of an investigation into alleged offences committed leading up to the local elections.

"In the days leading up to and following the election on May 7, we received reports surrounding concerns about candidates within the St Peter’s ward.

"Following initial enquiries last week, we have launched a full investigation into the allegations.

"The work is specifically investigating the process of how candidates were put forward and represented in the ward, and if this adhered to the relevant legislation and electoral procedures."

Ballot box

The arrests have been made this morning

|

GETTY

The spokesman continued: "The five people, four men and a woman aged between 23 and 47, were arrested at addresses in Tameside this morning.

"They remain in custody for questioning. We are working closely with the Electoral Commission and local partners as part of our enquiries. We will provide further updates as we progress our investigation further."

Online newspaper The Mill reported the arrests followed its investigation into claims that fake independent candidates were put forward in a bid to split the vote.

The St Peter’s ward was won by Atta Ul-Rasool for Labour, ahead of Reform UK’s Gaynor Francis and three independent candidates.

Lee Anderson

Reform chair Lee Anderson has called on the Electoral Commission to investigate

|
PA

Reform UK chairman Lee Anderson said: "If these allegations are true, then it’s a disgrace and the people involved should feel the full force of the law.

"Ordinary voters are sick and tired of politicians and activists thinking the rules don’t apply to them.

"Elections in Britain must be free, fair and beyond reproach.

"The police and the Electoral Commission must get to the bottom of this quickly, and if wrongdoing is proven there can be no excuses and no cover-ups."

Ballot boxes arrive at Manchester Central Convention ComplexBallot boxes arrive at Manchester Central Convention Complex | REUTERS

A Labour Party spokesman said: "No evidence has been presented of any Labour Party involvement in these allegations.

"We categorically reject any suggestion that the party was involved.

"The local Labour team is focused on what really matters, delivering for residents and protecting services, not playing political games.

"We are unable to provide any further comment while police inquiries are under way."